NH Lawyer Blog

Hit by a Car While Walking? You Have Options

Hit By a Car While Walking A car usually crashes into another car, but there are instances when innocent pedestrians are hit. While you may assume that the pedestrian always has the right of away, this is not the case in civil court. Instead, deciding whether or not you have the right to a settlement depends on a few factors surrounding the accident.

Fault: Who is Legally at Fault?

While criminally a driver may be considered at fault, civil court is another matter. Drivers are required by law to yield to pedestrians, especially when walking in marked crosswalks and other pedestrian-designated zones. If a pedestrian is hit while a driver was violating this law, then the driver is at fault for the injuries. But, if a pedestrian jumps on purpose into the middle of the road in front a car or is walking in a zone pedestrians are not allowed, then the driver may not be liable for injuries and damages.

How Badly Were You Injured?

If you suffer any injuries as the result of a driver causing the accident, then you may be able to file a claim with his or her insurance company. This is referred to as a third-party settlement and insurance claims are the first step of the compensation process. You will go through a lot of back-and-forth negotiations with their insurance company. If they do not reach an agreement, then you then can pursue the matter in civil court.

Was it a Hit-and-Run?

Drivers are required to stay at the scene of an accident, but that doesn't mean they will. If you were injured in a hit-and-run as a pedestrian, your options may narrow. The accident should still be reported to the police and any witness statements collected. After that, you will have to get medical treatment through your own insurance carrier. The good news is, however, that if the driver is ever caught, you can then file a civil court claim against him or her for the injuries, pain, and suffering.

Contact a Car Accident Attorney in Concord, NH Now

You should speak to a car accident attorney Gilford. An attorney can negotiate your third party claim settlement.. An attorney can negotiate your third party claim settlement as well as help you bring civil actions against the responsible parties. Lucas Law can discuss your case today over a free consultation. Call us at 603-581-7102 to schedule an appointment. Related Posts :